Gaia Nederland is a Non-profit foundation. The board consists of 5 members from the field of sustainability and education.
- Henk Petter: Chairman
- Monique van Loenen: Secretary
- Monica Petter: Treasurer
- Hugo Schonbeck: Financial auditor
- Fanny Winkelman: General member
Gaia Nederland is guided by a vision circle of external experts. We are proud to present to you our first vision circle member.
Giovanni Ciarlo: E-learning and Academic Coordinator Gaia Education
Gaia Nederland provides sustainability education that promotes thriving communities within planetary boundaries.
We work towards a resilient future within planetary boundaries where no one is left behind. A world of safe and nutritious food; of clean drinking water; of universal access to sustainability education; of physical, mental and social well-being. A world which uses energy and materials with greater efficiency, distributes wealth fairly and strives to eliminate the concept of waste. A world of universal respect for human rights and human dignity; of justice and equality; of respect for race and ethnicity; and of equal opportunity permitting the full realisation of human potential while promoting shared prosperity.
Gaia Nederland wants to:
- Be the Gaia Education Representative in the Netherlands.
- Distribute the curriculum of Gaia Education.
- Implement the Gaia Education curriculum in regular education.
- Support teachers in transition from regular to sustainable education.
- Connect people searching for a sustainable lifestyle.
- Increase knowledge about a sustainable lifestyle.
- Organise trainings aimed at increasing knowledge about setting up sustainable projects.
- Strengthen the link between sustainable companies, local government and education.
- Develop on the basis of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, together with companies, local government and schools, education programs for a sustainable Netherlands.
Gaia Nederland manages four streams of activities
Gaia in Schools
Gaia Nederland commits its self to establish a number of Gaia Schools in the Netherlands. We will especially invite Dutch teachers to join the EDE trainings and work with them on a fitting curriculum for their school situation.
Eco Design Education (EDE)
Gaia Nederland wants to spread the knowledge provided curriculum of Gaia Education. As the Dutch representative of Gaia Education we want to organize one or more Eco Design Education courses a year in Holland. The training’s will be organised using the guidelines of Gaia Education International and be in line with the certification program.
Gaia villages is a virtual platform where people interested in a sustainable lifestyle can meet each other and exchange experiences, exchange knowledge, exchange goods & services, etc.
The platform is shaped as a virtual ecovillage where visitors for instance can meet in a chat, follow a course or sell their goods at a stall on the marketplace.
Lots of people are interested in a new life, connecting to nature, doing the good things for this planet, preserving energy but do not have the opportunity (yet) to make the jump and start living in an ecovillage. For this target audience Gaia Nederland wants to publish a popular scientific magazine providing all kinds of information about the themes the Gaia Curriculum provides.